Why We Love It
Why We Love It
The fiery-red foliage of Leucothoe 'Little Flames' will inject colour into your borders beds or patio area.
It also makes for an eye-catching hedge.
The narrow evergreen leaves stalks and stems flush red when growing before turning green for the summer.
Autumn sees them deepen to scarlet.
Small but perfectly formed the shrub has a clumpy compact growth habit making it ideal for growing in containers.
Whether you're a novice or experienced gardener you'll find 'Little Flames' easy to grow: it's largely untroubled by disease or pests and you don't have to worry about pruning it.
It just needs well-drained but moist acidic soil.
If yours is too alkaline try altering the pH with sulphur.
An ericaceous compost in a container is also a good option.
The decorative pot is sold separately.
Find the perfect base for any style of planting explore our full range of pots here.
How to Plant
How to Plant
Leucothoe 'Little Flames' needs acidic soil that's moist but not waterlogged, but other than that it's pretty unfussy. It's equally at home in clay, sand or loam soils. It's happy with a bit of shade, which will bring out the best of the leaf colour. It will do fine in full sun too, as long as you make sure the soil stays moist.
Into the Ground
When you're ready to plant your 'Little Flames', grab your spade and a watering can or hosepipe. It also needs neutral to acidic soil.
- Check the pH level of your soil. If yours is too alkaline, you can try acidifying it by digging in ericaceous compost.
- Dig a hole twice as big as the plant's rootball.
- Pop your plant into the hole and line up the top of the rootball with the soil surface.
- Backfill and water well.
- Apply a thick layer of mulch to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
Into a Pot
In areas with alkaline soil, a container filled with ericaceous compost can be a good way to grow 'Little Flames'. You'll also need your trowel and a watering can.
- Almost fill your container with ericaceous potting compost.
- Dig a hole double the size of the plant's rootball.
- Insert your plant into the hole, with the top of the rootball level with the soil surface.
- Gently backfill around the roots, tamp down and water well.
Leucothoe 'Little Flames'
20 - 30cm
DeliveryEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99Delivered within 2-4 working daysEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99 · Delivered within 2-4 working days
This item is eligible for standard delivery, we’ll work with our delivery partners to ensure you receive your delivery within 2-4 working days.
If you’re worried about your delivery or have any other burning questions please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as we can.