In a Nutshell
What we reckon you'll want to know
More than six hours of direct sun per day in summer to thrive.
Grow outside in a garden or patio space.
Able to brave tough weather conditions and low temperatures.
Easy to grow
Minimal pruning, watering and pest or disease concerns.
Why We Love It
Why We Love It
Transport your garden to the Med with this statement blue foliage. This ornamental grass perfectly combines with other bedding favourites like cypress trees, olive trees and rosemary if you're looking to give your outdoor space a Mediterranean theme. It also grows well in a terracotta pot, so is ideal for smaller spaces too.
We love blue fescue (Festuca glauca) for its colour accent – an attractive steely blue shade. Shorter than other ornamental grasses, its delicate leaves rise into textural tufts, creating calming focal points in your garden or container. It ages gracefully into warm-toned foliage – but comb out the dead leaves from the plant each spring and replace every few years to revitalise its pretty blue hue.
The decorative pot is sold separately. Find the perfect base for any style of planting, explore our full range of pots here.
How to Plant
How to Plant
Into the Ground
When you're ready to give your plant a new home, gather your tools and materials. You’ll need a spade or trowel and a watering can. This plant pal grows happily in poor to moderately fertile soil but does love good drainage.
- Choose an area with full sun if possible as this will give your plant a striking blue tone.
- If you’re planting more than one, space your festuca friends at least 20cm apart to allow for their spread.
- Prepare your soil and work in some horticultural grit before planting.
- It's time to get your plant settled: dig a hole twice the size of the rootball and place in. Backfill, firm and water in well.
Into a Pot
Pick a pot with drainage holes for your new festuca and get a trowel and watering can ready. Find a growing medium that helps with drainage, like a peat-free multipurpose compost.
- Pick a sunny spot on your patio to help your plant flourish.
- Get your container ready: fill it with your prepared growing medium.
- Dig a hole to match the size of the pot and carefully place in your plant. Gently backfill and firm.
- Water in well.
Festuca glauca 'Intense Blue'
15 - 17cm
Looks after itself
DeliveryEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99Delivered within 2-4 working daysEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99 · Delivered within 2-4 working days
This item is eligible for standard delivery, we’ll work with our delivery partners to ensure you receive your delivery within 2-4 working days.
If you’re worried about your delivery or have any other burning questions please send a message to email@example.com and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as we can.