Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'£17.99
Estimated Standard Delivery £5.99
Delivered within 2-4 working days
Why We Love It
Why We Love It
Give your borders a haze of deep purple with the Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'.
This RHS Award of Garden Merit-winning deciduous shrub features copious amounts of round burgundy leaves.
These deepen to red in the cooler months before dropping off in winter for new spring growth to arrive.
During July and August you'll see soft wispy sprays of reddish-pink flowers emerge.
This unusual and bushy foliage makes it an excellent mid or back border choice depending on how large you let it grow.
It's low maintenance too just prune hard in March to control the height and mulch well.
You can position it in either a sheltered or exposed spot and it will still do well.
It's hardy too even in frosty weather.
The decorative pot is sold separately.
Find the perfect base for any style of planting explore our full range of pots here.
How to Plant
How to Plant
The Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple' needs a lot of sun for it's deep, rich colour. It does just fine in shade but prefers well-drained soil in a sun-filled spot.
Into the Ground
The key to shrub survival is water and sun, so when you have your spot, take a full watering can, your compost, trowel and mulch to get going.
- Soak the potted shrub in water to prepare the rootball for planting.
- Dig over an area twice the size of the plant's rootball.
- Add plenty of compost and cultivate well.
- Ease off the pot and place the rootball in the hole, so the top is level with the soil.
- Fill in around it and firm up before watering.
- Keep moist while it establishes and mulch in March.
Into a Pot
It does well in pots and you can move it wherever the sun shines, so grab a large pot with your watering can, compost, trowel and mulch.
- Water the old pot to soften the rootball.
- Take a new pot (that's twice as big as the one your plant came in) and add soil and compost to the base.
- Remove the rootball from the old pot and position it in the new one with the top an inch below the rim.
- Add compost and soil around it to fill the pot and pat down.
- Water well and keep it that way while it establishes. Add mulch in March.
Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'
40 - 50cm
DeliveryEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99Delivered within 2-4 working daysEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99 · Delivered within 2-4 working days
This item is eligible for standard delivery, we’ll work with our delivery partners to ensure you receive your delivery within 2-4 working days.
If you’re worried about your delivery or have any other burning questions please send a message to email@example.com and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as we can.