In a Nutshell
What we reckon you'll want to know
Grow outside in a garden or patio space.
Able to brave tough weather conditions and low temperatures.
Thrives in 3-6 hours of sun per day and cooling shade for the rest.
Easy to grow
Minimal pruning, watering and pest or disease concerns.
Why We Love It
Why We Love It
The Buxus sempervirens is a classic topiary plant that's perfect for any border or container and is ideal for a low hedge. This one comes in a pyramid design as a starting point for you, but the small, dense evergreen leaves make it easy to form into whatever shape you prefer. You don’t need to have Scissorhands, just grab a pair of secateurs and clip away. Alternatively, hold back on the clipping to let it reach an impressive mature height and spread of 2 metres.
Thought to be native to the UK, Buxus Sempervirens originally gained popularity during Roman times when they were widely used in villa gardens, but they stuck around due to their versatility. Not to mention their attractiveness to nature – birds, small mammals and insects love to use the dense foliage as shelter throughout the year, so they're a fitting addition to any wildlife-friendly garden.
The decorative pot is sold separately. Find the perfect base for any style of planting, explore our full range of pots here.
How to Plant
How to Plant
Into the Ground
Planting your Buxus sempervirens in the ground is a fairly straightforward job as they’re hardy plants that do well in most soils, although they do prefer well-drained and slightly alkaline conditions. All you’ll need is a spade and some organic material such as manure or compost.
- Dig a hole twice the size of the rootball to give the roots room to spread.
- If you’re concerned about the soil PH or condition, mix in some organic material.
- Next, position the plant, firm up the soil around it and water well.
- Space the next plant about 30 cm away.
- Water young plants regularly until well established, then as needed to keep them hydrated and reduce the chance of foliage scorch.
- Feed in the spring with a general-purpose fertiliser.
Into a Pot
Buxus Sempervirens also do very well in containers. They need regular care year-round to avoid drying out. For this, you’ll need some loam-based compost, a pot twice the size of the rootball and a trowel.
- First, dig over the soil and mix in the compost.
- Consider mixing in organic matter if you have poor soil conditions.
- Plant it all up and give it a good water.
- Position the pot in partial sun to avoid drying your plant out or scorching the foliage.
- Feed monthly during summer and top-dress in spring.
80 - 90cm
Looks after itself
DeliveryEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99Delivered within 3-5 working daysEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99 · Delivered within 3-5 working days
This item is eligible for standard delivery, we’ll work with our delivery partners to ensure you receive your delivery within 3-5 working days.
If you’re worried about your delivery or have any other burning questions please send a message to email@example.com and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as we can.