Estimated Standard Delivery £5.99
Delivered within 2-4 working days
Why We Love It
Why We Love It
As spring turns to summer the Rhododendron 'Johanna' celebrates with a display of deep carmine-red flowers.
Come autumn this shrub has another treat in store as its shiny leaves turn a darker shade of red.
Those leaves will remain all year round too and make a beautiful addition to your outdoor space whatever the season.
This compact plant is suitable for growing in containers to add a burst of colour to a patio or border.
It enjoys dappled shade but can also do well in sunny spots just so long as the soil is kept moist.
As part of the rhododendron family it needs acidic soil to thrive.
The decorative pot is sold separately.
Find the perfect base for any style of planting explore our full range of pots here.
How to Plant
How to Plant
As members of the rhododendron family, this plant needs soil with a pH of around 4.5 to 6. If yours is too alkaline, a container filled with ericaceous compost is a good option, or you could try using well-rotted compost or sulphur to make your soil more acidic.
Into the Ground
Ready to plant your 'Johanna'? Make sure you have slightly acidic soil. Then grab your spade and a watering tool.
- Improve your soil by mixing in organic matter – composted tree bark or pine needles are ideal.
- Dig a hole twice as big as the plant's rootball.
- Plant shallow with the top of the rootball level with the soil surface.
- Backfill and water well.
- Add at least 8 cm of acidic mulch on top of the soil to keep it moist. Chipped conifer bark or pine needles work well, as does home-made leaf litter.
Into a Pot
You'll need a container slightly bigger than the one the plant came in, along with some ericaceous peat-free compost. Gather your spade and a watering tool too.
- Raise your container on bricks to aid drainage.
- Fill your container with compost.
- Dig a hole that is twice the size of the rootball.
- Plant with the top of the rootball level with the soil surface.
- Water with rainwater if possible, which is less alkaline than tap water. Let tap water stand for half a day so the chlorine can evaporate.
Looks after itself
Border or Bed
30 - 40cm
DeliveryEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99Delivered within 2-4 working daysEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99 · Delivered within 2-4 working days
This item is eligible for standard delivery, we’ll work with our delivery partners to ensure you receive your delivery within 2-4 working days.
If you’re worried about your delivery or have any other burning questions please send a message to email@example.com and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as we can.