Gooseberry 'Hinnonmaki Yellow' (bare root)£8.50
Estimated Standard Delivery £5.99
Delivered within 2-4 working days
Why We Love It
Why We Love It
An excellent very hardy, yellow fruiting gooseberry.
'Hinnonmaki Yellow' is a heavy cropper of medium-sized, greenish-yellow berries with a unique aromatic flavour (and a hint of apricot according to experts).
The fruit is sweet enough to be eaten straight from the bush and is delicious in desserts and preserves.
Note: These plants are supplied as bare roots. That means they will be sent to you with nothing on the roots except a bag. They will have been growing in a field until shortly before you buy them. They’re dug up while dormant, the roots cleaned of soil then packed up for delivery.
The big advantage of bare root plants is that they’re easier to establish than containerised plants as they’re dormant when planted, so receive little shock from the change in conditions. Bare root plants are cheaper too; can’t complain about that.
How to Plant
How to Plant
This plant grows well in most types of well-draining soil of any pH level. Keep the soil moist and give it full sun or partial shade.
A bare root plant needs to be planted within 7 to 10 days after you get it. Keep it in its packaging in a frost-free shed or garage; not in the warmth of the house. If you can’t plant straight away, then put the plant in a large bucket or pot, fill in with moistened compost and keep in a sheltered place outside until you can plant out.
Into the Ground
- As long as you can dig the soil, you can plant your fruit. If the ground is solid with frost, wait until it thaws, likewise, if it is soggy wet, wait until it dries out.
- Soak the roots for 30 minutes in a bucket of water.
- Dig a hole no deeper than the roots and three times the diameter of the root system.
- Place the plant in the hole and position it so that the top of the roots are level with the soil surface.
- Refill the hole carefully, making sure you place soil between and around all the roots to eliminate air pockets.
- Firm down the soil gently.
- There’s no need to water after planting, as winter soils are generally wet enough.
Into a Pot
- Soak the roots in a bucket of water for at least 30 minutes before planting.
- Choose a pot at least 30-40cm in diameter and line with a base of drainage
- Add compost and place the plant centrally. Spread its roots so it is evenly balanced.
- Add more compost, making sure the top of the root ball is level with the surface of the compost.
- Water after planting, making sure the water drains out. Keep well-watered as the plant establishes in spring.
- Effort Level
- Bit of love needed
- Border or bed
- Eventual Height
- 120 cm
- Eventual Spread
- 150 cm
- Botanic Name
- Ribes uva-crispa 'Hinnonmaki Yellow'
- Light Condition
- Sun, Partial shade
- Planting time
DeliveryEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99Delivered within 2-4 working daysEstimated Standard Delivery £5.99 · Delivered within 2-4 working days
This item is eligible for standard delivery, we’ll work with our delivery partners to ensure you receive your delivery within 2-4 working days.
If you’re worried about your delivery or have any other burning questions please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team will get back to you as quickly as we can.